SKEMA VENTURES works closely with key partners in the ecosystem on each of its campuses. In Sophia Antipolis, like anywhere else, SKEMA is closely connected to the ecosystem that can financially support startups. PACA Emergence is a key player on that front.
Launched four years ago by the PACA Region, this entity has already supported c. 150 startups by investing more than €14m in those projects. PACA Emergence supports companies via a “prêt participatif”. This special loan is ideal for startups: it is not considered as a loan “per se” by traditional banks and does not weigh on the balance sheet. In fact, it is considered as “quasi equity” but does not dilute the founders. To find out more about PACA Emergence, please visit their website.
As part of the partnership signed between PACA Emergence and SKEMA VENTURES, the partners have decided to organize quarterly presentations between SKEMA startups and Charles-Antoine Boulay, from ACG Management, who is in charge of the selection of the startups. The first batch was varied and included the following people from SKEMA:
- David Fournier, a student from the Master Entrepreneurship and Innovation who is launching a business in the notary sector
- Nicolas Morez, the owner of Sebraf, an innovative startup in the field of green tech machines.
- Johanna Dantcikian who is launching a new jewelry brand.
- David Migliacci who is working with INRIA to develop Electrosmart, an app which identifies electromagnetic pollution
- Cedric Allin and Thibaut Desseignes, the owner of Bieropolis, the web marketplace to find micro-brewers’ beer in France.
- Axel Hutin, one of the co-founders of Time’N Joy, a multi-sided platform for events and ticketing.
Charles-Antoine appreciated the variety of the projects and the overall professionalism of the project presented. A few companies have some complementary steps to achieve in the next few months before they can submit an application, but some projects will be already presented to the board of PACA Emergence for funding. This first run of defense was a success and SKEMA entrepreneurs had the unique opportunity to get really valuable and professional feedback.